For as long as I could remember I've had an annoying little bump on my forehead. No big deal but not the most attractive thing. Well, lately this little bump has gotten bigger and has, uh, changed texture. And after reading health magazines I'm a little freaked out because that's a sign to see a dermatologist.
I am an avid Neutrogena sunscreen wearer (even in the winter) but I know I'm not 100% at reapplying and I do have a few memories of childhood over baking. Not good.
According to the Mayo Clinic of Health website, here are the telltale signs of skin cancer. If you have any of these signs please see a derm ASAP.
- A pearly or waxy bump
- A flat, flesh-colored or brown scar-like lesion
- A firm, red nodule
- A flat lesion with a scaly, crusted surface
- A large brownish spot with darker speckles
- A mole that changes in color, size or feel or that bleeds
- A small lesion with an irregular border and portions that appear red, white, blue or blue-black
- Dark lesions on your palms, soles, fingertips or toes, or on mucous membranes lining your mouth, nose, vagina or anus.
Have fun in the sun but don't forget to take care of your skin!
Even though I know we all are vigilant about wearing sunscreen and paying attention to our awesome beauty marks, have any of you had a skin cancer scare? What was the derm appointment like?