On the fourth day of our surprise getaway, I had something very special planned. Yes, even more special than a wine train in Napa Valley or the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Here were the hints:
1. It would blow him away.
2. He might pee his pants.
3. Multiple modes of transportation.
4. We have to be some place at 5:30 am.
On the way to our destination (at 5 am, I might add) he asked, "Are you taking me someplace special to see the sunrise?"
I smiled. "Yes. You guessed it."
|Getting ready for take-off!|
|Watching the sunrise over the Napa Valley.|
Of all the sunrises in my life, this was by far the most incredible.
|I loved looking over and seeing all the other balloons soar alongside with us.|
I'm getting chills just thinking about it!
1. We flew with Napa Valley Balloons and loved them. They were super friendly and professional.
2. The meeting place was the beautiful restaurant Etoile, where we were served pastries, fruit, and beverages.
3. Even though it's early, the temperature in a balloon is mild, so no heavy jackets are necessary. The flight was about an hour, which was plenty of time to take in the scenery and snap a few photos (okay, a few hundred).
4. I have a fear of heights, which is why I knew a hot air balloon ride would completely take Mr. Branflake off guard. Although at times my chest felt like there was a helicopter inside, the entire ride was smooth and peaceful. Well, aside from the 'I'm going to pee my pants' feeling I had when I looked straight down.
5. Our pilot was awesome. He's been doing this for thirty years so we knew we were in good hands.
6. The most physical part was climbing in and out of the wicker basket. No doors and no step stools!
7. We were served a post-flight brunch. It was amazing: eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, English muffins, and cream cheese so creamy I thought it was butter.
8. It's surreal being in a wicker basket two thousand feet in the air. Bring a friend and hang on tight!
Have you ever been in a hot air balloon?
If not, would you do it?
ps... yes, those are my socks above.
I bought them just for the occasion from Sock City!